Open COVID License 1.0 March 31, 2020Having made the Open COVID Pledge, we (the “Pledgor”), in order to speed the development and dissemination of the technologies needed to end the COVID-19 Pandemic and mitigate the effects of the disease, grant the license described below. Our intent in doing so is to advance the shared cause of ending the COVID-19 Pandemic, and we do so without any expectation of consideration or compensation, and with knowledge of the rights we are licensing.
1. GRANT AND SCOPEThe Pledgor grants to every person and entity that wishes to accept it, a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, fully paid-up license (without the right to sublicense) to make, have made, use, sell, import, reproduce, adapt, translate, distribute, perform, display, modify, create derivative works of and otherwise exploit all patent, copyright and other intellectual and industrial property rights (other than trademarks and trade secrets) in products, services, compositions of matter, machines, articles of manufacture, processes, and works of authorship that we have the right to license under these terms (the “Licensed IP”), for the sole purpose of ending the “COVID-19 Pandemic” (as defined by the World Health Organization, “WHO”) and minimizing the impact of the disease, including without limitation the diagnosis, prevention, containment, and treatment of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
2. TIME LIMITATIONThis license is effective as of December 1, 2019 and lasts until one year after WHO declares the COVID-19 Pandemic to have ended.
3. REGULATORY EXCLUSIVITYThe Pledgor will not assert any regulatory exclusivity against any entity for use of the Licensed IP in accordance with the license granted in Section 1, and we will not seek injunctive or regulatory relief to prevent any entity from doing so.
4. DEFENSIVE SUSPENSIONThe license and non-assertion covenant granted above shall automatically be suspended, and the Pledgor shall be free to assert the Licensed IP against the licensee, if the licensee or any entity affiliated with the licensee threatens or initiates a suit or legal proceeding alleging the infringement of any patent or other intellectual property right against the Pledgor or any entity affiliated with the Pledgor with respect to any activity relating to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
5. NO WARRANTYThe license granted herein is “AS IS” without any warranties, express or implied.
All copyright and related rights in the Open COVID License are waived via CC0.